The Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) was founded in 1968 and is the professional society for biomedical engineering and bioengineering. As biomedical engineers we use traditional engineering expertise to analyze and solve problems involving the intersection of biology and medicine. We use this knowledge to enhance the field of medicine and work alongside other medical professionals to enhance overall healthcare. The BMES has over 4,400 student members across 146 student chapters.
The Vision of the National Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) is to “serve as the world's leading society of professionals devoted to developing and using engineering and technology to advance human health and well-being.”1 Locally at Utah State University, we strive to develop interdisciplinary relationships that are mutually beneficial for students and the university. By bringing together motivated, bright, and talented students and faculty from across the USU campus, we can further the vision of the national society and help to advance human-health technology.
The Mission of the National BMES is to “build and support the biomedical engineering community, locally, nationally and internationally, with activities designed to communicate recent advances, discoveries, and inventions; promote education and professional development; and integrate the perspectives of the academic, medical, governmental, and business sectors.”1 The USU Student Chapter furthers this mission by providing students with opportunities to develop professional contacts, meet with members of industry, gain exposure to biomedical research throughout campus, promote biomedical engineering to middle school and high school students, and get involved in the community.
Become a member of the National Biomedical Engineering Society!
Why join BMES?
- Network with students, faculty, and working professionals that share in your passions for biomedical engineering.
- Build your resume with extracurricular outreach and leadership experiences.
- Engage with local biomedical industries, tour company facilities, and learn about the engineering workplace.
- Explore opportunities to participate in and present research.
- Gain access to member-only medical journals and online career development seminars.
How to Join BMES –
Glad you are interested in joining us! BMES is a national organization that has a lot to offer. To join the USU student chapter there are just three steps to follow:
- Go to the BMES national webpage and select the “join” tab in the upper right-hand corner, or click here .
- Select “Student” for membership type, fill out the application, and pay the student member fee.
- Notify the USU BMES student chapter that you have joined by emailing proof of payment and your membership number to email@example.com
Congratulations! You’ve joined a renowned society of students and professionals that share in your passions and can help you on your way. You will receive contact from a member of USU BMES leadership regarding updates about the chapter and opportunities for you to get involved.