Position Announcement and Job Description Head
Utah State University seeks applications from candidates for the Head of the Biological Engineering Department. Applicants must have earned a PhD or equivalent in Biological Engineering or a related engineering discipline, have academic experience in a teaching and research institution, and a record of research excellence in the broad area of biological engineering or a related field. Applicants must also be eligible for the rank of tenured full professor. Research excellence can be demonstrated through a combination of scholarly publications, extramural funding, and recognition through professional activities. The successful applicant will be expected to provide strong leadership and a vision for developing a nationally prominent department, including an expansion of the department’s interdisciplinary research activities, and growth in both the undergraduate and graduate student enrollments.
Primary responsibilities of the Department Head include, but are not limited to:
- Leadership in the department's teaching, research, service, and ABET accreditation activities.
The Department Head must have a keen understanding of scholarship and the ability to articulate and promote scholarly excellence. The Department Head should foster a positive, collegial climate and participatory decision-making process within the department that promotes excellence in the department’s programs.
- Administrative responsibility for the department’s organizational performance.
The Department Head is responsible for fiscal planning and oversight of the department’s budgets and resources, and for management of process and procedures relating to human resources including recruitment, career development, performance evaluations, and retention of faculty and staff.
- Promote the department within and outside the University.
The Department Head is expected to establish effective liaisons with other departments, college and university administration, government agencies, industry and alumni. The ultimate goals are to increase the public and professional recognition for the department, and to attract resources that strengthen and broaden the department’s research, teaching, and service missions.
- Earned PhD, or equivalent terminal degree in Biological Engineering or a related engineering discipline relevant to the department.
- Academic experience in a teaching and research institution.
- A strong record of professional and scholarly achievement eligible for the rank of tenured full professor in the department.
- Capacity to provide leadership to support and promote excellence in teaching and research.
- Appreciation for diverse research and outreach programs and the synergy of these efforts.
- Understanding and appreciation for undergraduate and graduate teaching.
- Proficiency for program administration and evaluation, curriculum improvement, fiscal management and development, and collaboration with stakeholders.
- Organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to create and enhance relationships with other programs and units at the university.
- Ability to articulate and advocate the vision and goals of the department to a variety of audiences.
- Commitment to cultural diversity and community.
- a full curriculum vitae
- a statement that addresses each of the required and preferred qualifications, and the candidate's vision and goals for the BE Department
- the names and addresses of four references
Application materials should be submitted to the following link: https://usu.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobID=412&job=department-head-biological-engineering
For any questions, please contact
Robert Spall, Search Committee Chair
Department Head, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
Utah State University
4130 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 843322-4130