The Biological Engineering Department involves students with hands-on experiences in laboratory and field projects to develop new bio-based products, technologies, and engineering services. We offer Bachelor, Master, and PhD degrees.
- We emphasize design, building, and testing of new specialized bioreactors, biomedical biomaterials, bioplastics, biofuels, pharmaceuticals, biosensors, and bioinstrumentation.
- We develop engineered systems that protect public health from water, air, and soil contamination.
- We prepare students for entry into professional schools, including medicine, law, and public health.
- We offer specific courses in biochemical engineering, synthetic biological engineering, metabolic engineering, biophotonics, biofuels, tissue engineering, biomaterials engineering, and biosensors that provide students with new skills required by employers in industry, government national laboratories, medical and other research institutes, and universities.
- The Undergraduate Biological Engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, for the BS degree in Biological Engineering.